Tuesday 23 December 2014

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories 2014: The Meaning of Christmas

This one always amuses me.  People who firmly deny any sort of religion in their lives still sing happily about a Saviour being born in Bethlehem.  They completely refuse to believe in Christ, yet large supermarket chains sell nativity scenes made of wood or china (and they have rapidly found that, if you put the word 'Christmas' in front of something ordinary, like 'pudding', 'biscuits', 'TV', or ''CD', you can charge almost what you like for it).

I love the tinsel and baubles and music.  I love the food which you can't get at any other time of year.  I love the bargains, deals, and sales (who doesn't?).  I love poinsettias and Christmas cacti.  But, most of all, I love my Saviour.

I love that He could have stayed where He was, in glory - but He didn't.  He came to experience Earth life so He could relate.  I love that He gave His life for me - because He loves me.

The meaning of Christmas?  Jesus was born.

That single fact is more important than all the tinsel and baubles in the world.  It's more important than getting that last-minute present for Aunty Mary, or paying the electricity bill so you can have all those tree lights. It's more important than remembering to put the sprouts on.  Those things aren't wrong - they're just accessories to the most important thing - Jesus was born.


The Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories (ACCM) allows you to share your family’s holiday history twenty-four different ways during December! Learn more at http://adventcalendar.geneabloggers.com.     


4 comments:

  1. I consider myself spiritual but I know Jesus did exist and regardless how Christmas started it is here because of his birth. He may not have been born on this day but this does not matter as it is about rejoicing of family, peace, love and being thankful. I have 2 nativities-one hand-carved from the Tirol area and another made in a tin but it is so beautiful with silver and gold-looks Byzintine (spelling??).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your nativities sound beautiful. This year I am going to have a go at making one of my own with fake snow, glass figures from a Nativity I have, and put the lot in a large glass terrarium (you know, like you have a bottle garden in). Most of my family has either passed on or I live far away, but I still love them and am thankful for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, Ros. Yes, yes, and yes! I agree on all points. Merry Christmas to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to read and respond to my post. Glad you liked it!

      Delete

Copyright

You may NOT use the contents of this site for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner. Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generating features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content. Full content usage is not permitted.

You Might Also Be Interested In

Total Pageviews

Blog Archive